Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Power of Place










Yesterday I sat for a few minutes of private contemplation in the Milagro meditation room. I invited some sound from the array of crystal bowls there and then seated myself facing he mountain. I was attempting to quiet my mind when I heard a tap, tap, tap. I tried to ignore it. “Relax your forehead,” I told myself. Tap, tap, tap, TAP, TAP!  I turned my head to see a bird knocking at the window. I went over to say hello to him, and we stared at each other for a while. Then the bird flew off and I went back to meditating. TAP, TAP, TAP.  He was at the other window now.  I went over again and paid my respects. 

Last night I dreamed the bird came home with me (all the way to New Jersey!) and followed me around, flying above my shoulder, as if I were Snow White in one of those Disney cartoon features.  I put a collar on him, as if he were a puppy, so I could find him if it got lost. But I knew that whatever happened he would always be with me in a way, as are so may of the gifts I’ve been given here.

Last evening, writer Dan Wakefield who will be giving workshops here for the rest of the week, spoke about the power of place: how each of us has certain places that inspire awe, creativity, a feeling of connection with the infinite. The Ranch is such a place for so many of us. How many come here first as vacationers and return as pilgrims.  Here we find friends we bond with for life, here we spend 20 minutes staring at a flower without feeling like we're wasting time, here we unearth talents and inclinations we never knew we had.

Speaking of the latter, if you are here this week, or can ever come when Dan Wakefield is here, try attending his workshop, especially if you think you “can't write.” Because Dan is a muse. It is literally impossible to write anything that is not brilliant when he’s in the room with you. I don't know why, but let’s just add that to the long, long list of things I don’t understand but know for a fact.  

RANCH FUN FACT OF THE DAY:  Visit the Ranch Library to peruse an amazing book: Cuchuma and Sacred Mountains, by W.Y. Evans-Wentz. 

 

No comments: